Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Gooseberry, cinnamon and rhubarb jam

On the wave of the summer fruit and discovery, here there is yet another jam. The second of the season. Actually, I found out that this is a way to use a lot of fruit in a short time and that it is fairly simple (especially if using the jam sugar). We usually get quite a lot of fruit, especially berries, from the cat hotel owners and we have always hard time to consume them.
Also, I think it is really nice to be able to give as a gift a little (or medium) jar of your own jam to people and I like to receive feedback so to make new different "tastes".

This time, I decided to just take what I had and I briefly searched what would be a good combination with gooseberry and I found out that cinnamon would have been the key ingredient to make the taste less flat.
As the previous experiment, I put a bit more fruit than sugar so that it would not be a too sweet jam. And I discovered that people do not like too sweet jams and hence, mine was quite appreciated.

Ingredients for about 1,5 kg of jam:

  • 750 gr of gooseberries
  • 750 gr of rhubarb
  • 1 kg of jam sugar
  • a tea spoon of cinnamon



I warmed up the frozen berries and the rhubarb in a big pot, without adding anything.



Once the fruits was warm and not frozen any longer, I blended the fruit, but not too much in order to leave some fruit to chew on.


I have finally added the cinnamon to the mix!

Since I was still "cheating" using the jam sugar, I simply added it and let it cook for the time written on the package. Well, if I have to be honest, in this case I accidentally left it over the heat some minute extra and burned it slightly (which however gave a nice back-taste to the jam!).


It is finally cooked! As you can see, there are some pieces of fruit that are well visible.
As usual, I sterilized the jar and then I filled it with the jam. It turned out to be a really good jam to eat with cheese. 


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...