Pages

Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Winter Ghosts, by Kate Mosse

The Winter GhostsThe Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a short story that can be relatively entertaining. The plot, once one knows it is a ghost story, is slightly trivial: one can figure out quite easily how things will turn out. There are no surprises, neither special effects and the story doesn't have any very scary touch. It has some sort of magic aura, mystical, surrounded by some general sadness. Possibly, it is what the author wanted to transmit and achieve with this story. But this was my first ghost story so I can't really put the finger whether or not the book has failed in its intent.
It is of course set in France, as all the books I have seen so far by this author and that results in a quite detailed description of the environment, dipped in an historical context where sometimes things are a bit unclear due to the usage of some sentences written in French. I always get lost when she starts to describe the towns or the roads, maybe also because she becomes too descriptive.
I have definitely read better books, but at least, it is not too long and it flows quite quickly to not become too heavy to be digested.


View all my reviews

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...